I used to not post very much in part because the TypePad web interface is a pain and various other tools I tried weren't much better. But for a while now I've been using a new tool that genuinely makes web logging a pleasant and painless experience. Every time I use it I think, "All Windows applications should be so powerful and yet easy to use." Windows Live Writer (in a very stable Beta) is elegant and simple in all of these ways:
- The initial setup automatically detected my blog provider and created a posting template.
- Writing posts and including pictures are both way easy.
- Linking to 3rd party pages in a new browser window is a simple check box.
- Select multiple posting categories in a simple drop-down list.
- It keeps a list of recent posts and incomplete drafts accessible with a single click.
- Use multiple windows to edit multiple posts.
- Simple formatting and spell checking are accessible from an elegant toolbar.
- You can draft posts offline and publish them when you get connected.
Now I have to come up with other excuses for not posting - like only having 24 hours in a day.